Dr. Yegappan graduated from the National University of Singapore School of Medicine in 1992 and is currently a Senior Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon practicing at Mount Elizabeth Novena Hospital, Parkway East Hospital and Farrer Park Hospital, Singapore. He is a specialist in Orthopaedic Sports Medicine and does mainly arthroscopic reconstructive surgery of the knee and shoulder.
He completed his orthopaedic training in Singapore and did his Sports Medicine Fellowship at the Methodist Sports Medicine Centre in Indianapolis, USA from 2002 to 2003. As a sports medicine specialist and orthopedic surgeon he deals mostly with sports injuries in patient’s young and old. He has a keen interest in post surgical rehabilitation and his aim to return patient’s to their previous level of activity whenever possible.
Knee injuries and shoulder injuries are the most common injuries treated by Dr. Yegappan. Most of the procedures can be done arthroscopically and this aids in patient recovery. Ligaments reconstructions, meniscal repairs and cartilage reconstructive procedures in the knee are common procedures done by him. In addition to arthroscopic shoulder reconstructions he also performs shoulder replacements.
Dealing with sports injuries also means dealing with the multiple fractures that are often sustained during sports and play. Dr. Yegappan has vast experience dealing with fractures of the upper and lower limb. These injuries are treated immediately to ensure that patients recover as quickly as possible.
Currently he is an instructor for the ISAKOS basic and advanced arthroscopic workshops in Singapore and the ASEAN region. He has travelled extensively in the ASEAN region to teach and perform live surgery.
DO YOU WANT TO KNOW MORE ABOUT
Dr. Yegappan Muthukaruppan
- Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon
- Specialist in Orthopaedic Sports Medicine
- 1992 – MBBS, National Univesity of Singapore
- 1997 – FRCS, Fellow of the Royal of Physicians and Surgeons, Glasslow / FRCS,Fellow of the Royal of Surgeons, Edinburgh
- 1998 – USMLE, Unied States Medical Licensing Examinations (USA)
- 2002 – FAMS (Orthopaedics), Fellow of the Academy of Medicine, Singapore
- 2003 – Orthopaedic Sports Medicine Fellowship, Indiana University, Indiana(USA)
- Ordinary Member, Singapore Medical Council
- Ordinary Member, Singapore Orthopaedic Association
- Fellow. Academy of Medicine. Singapore
- Ordinary Member, General Medical Council Overseas List, UK
- Fellow, Royal College of Surgeons Edinburgh
- Fellow, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons Glasgow
- International Affiliate Member, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Associate Member, ISAKOS
- Member, ESSKA
PUBLICATIONS & AWARDS
- 1998 – The Surgical Management of Colorectal Complications from Irradiation for Carcinoma of the Cervix Ann Acad Med Singapore, September 1998; 27 (5): pg 627-630
- 2000 – AO-EAST ASIA Student Travelling Fellow, 3-17 May 2000, Bangkok, Thailand
- 2001 – Knee Ligament Injuries, Medical Digest, Tan Tock Seng Hospital, October – December 2001; pg 2-4
- 2003- The Frozen Shoulder, Medical Digest, Tan Tock Seng Hospital, October – December 2003, pg 21-23
- 2004 – British Orthopaedic Association Travelling Fellowship, September 2004, United Kingdom
- 2005- Subjective Results of Nonoperatively Treated, Acute, Isolated Posterior Cruciate Ligament Injuries Arthroscopy, April 2005; 21(4): pg 457-461
- 2006 – Cartilage injury and repair: Assessment with MRI, Singapore Medical Journal 2006; 47(1): pg 80-88
- 2007 – Suprascapular Nerve Neuropathy Secondary to Spinoglenoid Notch Ganglion Cyst: Case Reports and Review of Literature, Ann Acad Med Singapore, December 2007, 36 (12): 1032-1035 / Spontaneous Bilateral Quadriceps Tendon Rupture: A Case Report and Review of the Literature, Singapore Medical Journal 2007; 48(11): pg 1051-1054